To go with the green theme, I searched around my house for green things to fill the vases. Here are some ideas for "free home decorating."
- Food! I had these limes on hand for a recipe. (They've since been used.) Plastic fruit also works well.
- Pens, markers, crayons and colored pencils. If we want to color something green, this is where we need to go.
- Craft supplies. I had two balls of green yarn and a spool of thread very handy. Fabric and paper could also work well.
- Small toys. A set of blocks had three colors of green, and we added things like a spinning top, k'nex and a tiny Buzz Lightyear.
- Seasonal holiday supplies, like the Easter eggs I'll be filling these with next, or Christmas ornaments.
- Candy. I'd love to see these full of pastel M&Ms! Wonder how many bags that would take . . .
- Plants (and fake plants). If I couldn't find anything else, I knew I had some fake greenery somewhere to stick in here. Everything from flowers to fall leaves would work great.
- Nature. In the fall, things like acorns and maple helicopters could make very cool seasonal decor. Plus, a fun family activity: nature walk! Sand and seashells also make great seasonal or year-round additions.
What would you put in these vases for your favorite holiday?
Other St Patrick's Day crafts from the Wayward Girls: